KRRA crew takes on the Peterborough Half Marathon
The report is in and there is no question, the Peterborough YMCA Half Marathon was a great race day for Kingston Road Runners. Every year, the KRRA makes it a point to represent Kingston in Peterborough for this timely race that — due to its date in February — competes with no other race events. It is the perfect sized half marathon and just a couple hours away from Kingston so it can be participated in without an overnight stay.
Runners' Choice who is the marquee sponsor of the KRRA subsidizes a bus which loads up with runners to make the trip a stress-free day for everyone to focus on their race. Some runners will tell you they consider the Peterborough Half, a race they don't plan to tackle too fiercely, and with this winter's arctic conditions training and preparation have been a challenge... but when it comes time to line up on the start, game faces are on, there's lots of friendly competition and everyone gives 100%.
Words from KRRA president, Lana Saunders:
"We got lucky with the weather and, except for the headwind after the turnaround, we couldn't have asked for better conditions for a February race. All of our Kingston runners should be very proud of their race times as everyone did well with many placing in their respective age groups. It was a great day and I'm glad I spent it with such an amazing group of people. Thanks Al (owner of Runners Choice Kingston) for arranging the bus trip."
Here are the results broken out for the Kingston finishers:
- Robert Watering 1:25:52 15/191 (M40/44 3/24)
- Al Cantlay 1:28:18.1 19/191 (M55-59 2/23)
- Lana Saunders 1:39:43.8 8/143 (F35-39 3/24)
- Michelle Truax 1:40:04.3 11/143 (F25-29 1/14)
- Todd Biggerman 1:40:45.9 69/191 (M40-44 12/24)
- Jim Elyot 1:42:16.6 76/191 (M55-59 8/23)
- Jim Malekos 1:45:16.8 89/191 (M55-59 10/23)
- Greg Phelan 1:49:40.8 108/191 (M45-49 13/28)
- James Bridger 1:51:10.8 113/191 (M25-29 10/13)
- Luis Paico-Avilez 1:51:29.2 114/191 (M30-34 13/18)
- Bridget Murphy 1:53:57.9 40/143 (F40-44 8/19)
- Pan Mundell 1:59:07.3 59/143 (F45-49 8/26)
- Serio Tomasi 2:00:17.7 140/191 (M45-49 20/28)
- PJ Marshall 2:00:36.5 142/191 (M60+ 8/13)
The KRRA will be putting on the Limestone Race Weekend on April 26-27, 2014. There is a 5k, 10k and half marathon as well as a kids 3k slated for the weekend. For more information go to the KRRA website.
Great news is the KRRA and the race directors for the Peterborough YMCA Half Marathon did some race entry certificate swapping. If you were at the Peterborough Half you were eligible to win entry to the KRRA 's upcoming half marathon race. Should you be attending the Limestone Race Weekend, there will be door prizes of entries to the 2015 Peterborough YMCA Race event.