How to build a 365 article page
There are certain rules which must be adhered to when posting a 365 article, in order to maintain a consistent formatting. Maintaining a professional look for each article page is critical to ensure readers are engaged, there is page uniformity and the site continues to have a professional look.
Rules for posting a 365 Article
Careful consideration has been given to all elements of the layout of the 365 website. When posting content, there is little room for play or interpretation. Please adhere to the following rules, and in cases when you don't see a rule that applies, please reference a few pages on the site to get a sense for how things look.
- Title should not exceed 80 characters, be very succinct (for search engines).
- Keep Headers short, engaging and fun. They should never exceed two lines (approx 60 characters).
- Be very careful when pasting text content that comes from sources such as MS Word, website pages etc. When already formatted text is copied, often the invisible formatting code comes with it, which can be problematic. When in doubt, convert to plain text, then copy/paste plain text to strip out all formatting.
- Internal headers (such as the above 'Rules for posting a 365 article') format: Size: 24, text colour: Fire Brick. Do NOT bold.
- Pull quotes (as illustrated below) format: Increase Indent, size 18, text colour Dim Grey.
- Body text should always be Left Justify. Do not centre text.
- Do not use UPPER CASE FOR MULTIPLE WORDS. We don't scream at readers. If we need to emphasize a few words, please bold.
- Never use more than one exclamation mark, if any !!!!!!!!
- Please, little-to-no slang or dialect when writing editorial.
- Characters such as: @ # & should not be used.
- When adding a date for any event, always include the day, so people aren't guessing whether it's a Friday or a Saturday.
- If possible link as many URLs within an article as possible. Wikipedia is good and other 365 pages. But ALWAYS Target a New Window "_blank" page.
- Avoid using underline, subscript and superscript.
- Images embedded internally into the Body, should not be wider than 520px and be centered.
This is a pull quote used to break up large blocks of text. It's a good way to draw attention to a short phrase.
Below is a graphic illustrating a 365 article on the left and the administration page indicating all the content required to post on the page. The instructions can be viewed in a larger version by clicking the graphic below. Expect to see more Categories to click (we removed some just for space).
When in doubt, email me a question at: firstname.lastname@example.org